|Unusual Features||Possesses superhuman strength and great fighting skill with any blunt weapon (or Rito) when in state of panic.|
|Relatives|| Akiho Sairenji (Sister)|
Parents (not yet introduced)
|Education||Currently attending Sainan high|
Haruna Sairenji is the second female protagonist of To Love Ru and one of Rito's classmates and the girl of his affections. Haruna has similar feelings for him, having been attracted to his kind, gentle nature since junior high. Despite her growing love for Rito, which she believes to be unrequited, she usually suppresses her feelings and cannot confess to him because of her friendship with Lala who also loves Rito. However, with some encouragement, she tells Lala of her ordeal, to which Lala accepts, claiming Haruna as her rival for Rito's heart, while remaining friends.
In the anime, there is a running gag where Rito is about to confess to her, only for something (or someone) to come between them.
Haruna is affiliated with the tennis club and a southpaw.
Haruna has blue hair and blue eyes, she has quite a cute complexion which most boys seem to like. She always wears a red hair clip that show two red lines that travel vertically up her hair, on the left of her head where ever she goes.
According to Mio Sawada, Haruna's measurements are B79-W56-H82. Despite having a fairly normal physique for a girl her age, she often feels inferior being surrounded by girls like Lala and Yui, who are far more developed.
A highly responsible person, Haruna's personality can sway her classmate's hearts to vote for her as their class representative, even when she did not run as a candidate.
Haruna can also be a very kind, understanding and patient person, an example of this is when she's genuinely polite to everyone around her, especially to Rito. Despite his perverted clumsiness, she always manages to forgive him whether he pants' her or gropes her breasts (those of which are by accident), but she does occasionally slaps him for it, although she is fully aware that he doesn't do it on purpose.
In the beginning, she has had feelings for Rito, but has hardly shown any expression of them until he started hanging out with Lala, to which she started showing a bit of jealousy, although they did became good friends. Secretly she enjoys Rito's kindness, like when she was turned into a cat by one of Lala's inventions, he found her (unaware that it was Haruna) and started playing with her, which she claims it's like being in heaven and didn't mind being his pet, but quickly shakes it off (Darkness side story 3). Another example is when she was drunk off Deviluke herbs, she couldn't help but cling on to Rito (half naked and wet) and says that he's all hers for the moment (Darkness Chapter 26).
She has a severe fear of ghosts and the supernatural with the exception being Oshizu Murasame, but only for a while. When frightened, she has a habit of grabbing the nearest thing around her – typically Rito – and swinging wildly, in an attempt to get rid of whatever frightens her.
When Haruna was 13, her parents moved because of her father getting a job in another city. However she and her older sister stayed behind because they didn't want to leave their home at Sainan.
In eighth grade, Haruna was in the same class as Rito, which has been stated to be the last time that Haruna and Rito were classmates (prior to the start of the series). One time when the school garden was vandalized, Rito, who was caught on the scene and was mistaken to be the one who had done it. Haruna was the only one in the school who didn't look down on him or believe he did such a thing, knowing how caring he is to plants. Unknown to her, Rito had overheard her and was touched by her belief in him, which sprung his initial feelings for her.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Immense Strength: Even though she seems shy and weak, she has more strength in her than everyone thinks she has, which is occasionally revealed rather comically. Her strength is often shown when she is in a state of panic or frightened of something, and she becomes capable of lifting, swinging and throwing an actual person (mainly Rito) and knocking and fighting back the thing she's scared of.
- Tennis Skill: Haruna is quite skilled in tennis, as she is a member of the tennis team and club.
- Improvising: She is also good at improvising, like when she and her friends were inside the virtual reality game Trouble Quest, she skillfully used a sword, comparing it to how she uses a tennis racket, or using an actual person as weapon when bare-handed.
- Natural Leader: She has also shown to have great leadership skills and is able to keep everyone calm when they are panicking
- Her name may come from Mount Haruna, a dormant stratovolcano in Gunma, eastern Honshū, Japan.
- She has a cameo appearance in Mayoi Neko Overrun! Chapter 6 page 8 together with Oshizu and was partially seen with Lala in Chapter 8 page 27.
- Haruna is left handed.
- Haruna's reduced role in the manga is due to her being based on series writer Saki Hasemi's now ex wife, who was awarded the rights to the character in their divorce.
- ↑ To Love-Ru Guidebook